Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You say to"may"to and I say to"mah"to

Week 11
Tomatoes
and more tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers,
peppers, onions,
garlic, zucchini and squash, okra and flowers



I'm not sure if I know many people who say it differently than I do but I know one thing the tomatoes are saying at the moment is "pick me, pick me!" The cherry tomatoes are coming in strong - sungolds and black cherries are prolific at the moment. Even in today's' rain the harvest helpers picked over 70 quarts and there are more on the vine. The recipe in the newsletter looks delicious and I plan to try it out tomorrow. More and more I have seen cherry tomatoes roasted in many recipes so we are in luck. We won't be running out of cherry tomatoes any time soon. And don't miss the fresh basil included in the (Wed.) floral arrangement. They go together naturally.



Sungolds - everyone's favorite


the cherry tomato jungle

plenty more where those came from

New to the shares this week: sweet and hot peppers and eggplant



If you make a batch of "Tomato Confit" from this week's newsletter,
try it in this recipe:

Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas

1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
Combine all ingredients and rub on both sides of
4 boneless skinless chicken breast (approx 4 oz.)
Grill the chicken breasts and slice.
Fill 8 whole wheat pita halves with sliced chicken and tomato relish.





No comments: