Saturday, September 3, 2011

September Reflections

Hello loyal farm blog readers,

This week’s post is brought to you by me, Stoney Lonesome Apprentice Diana, for Mary while she is on vacation.

Can you believe it’s September already? The summer months really flew by, in a flutter of cherry tomatoes! There are still 8 weeks of the season left, and lots more to look forward to. Yesterday afternoon Pablo and I finished up a record planting of bok choi, lettuce heads, and cabbage. Just as the seasons begin to change color, so will the shades of our share… from the rainbow array of watermelon, flowers, and tomatoes back to earthy tones with leafy greens and winter squash.

Last week we said goodbye to our amazing college interns, Katherine and Logan. They were a great help on the farm and hard workers in every activity from buckle hoeing broccoli to weeding strawberries or hilling potatoes. Their positive spirits, stories, and ideas discussed in the field and over lunch helped us weather the hottest, humid days of summer together). I hope it was a good experience for them; it was certainly a great one for me to help lead them.


This is my second season working at Stoney Lonesome. I started last year with zero experience or knowledge of farming besides an interest in sustainability and vegetables. I’ve come a long way since then and am still loving the work everyday. Staying on another year and working full-time has allowed me to see the farm come full circle… In the wintertime I cleared brush and got to experience a still, snow-covered farm. I helped Pablo with the planning process and ordering seeds. In early spring I started seeds in the greenhouse and rehabbed the beds despite the challenges of rain. We started our most ambitious project of the season- breaking ground in the “future field.” It has been so exciting to see the field transform from soggy sod to a colorful sea of vegetables (after many hours of tilling, planting, weeding, and mulching of course!). My added responsibility this spring and summer comes with the amazing bonus of living in the farmhouse. Day to day life of a young farmer can be challenging and sometimes exhausting, but my connection to this beautiful piece of land makes it all worth it.

My favorite part about farm life is appreciating how growing vegetables can bring a community together. Harvest days are so gratifying as our wonderful, unique harvest helpers come to reap the edible benefits of our hard work. I love greeting and getting to know members as we chat in the distribution shed about recipes, weather, and life. Sharing a meal of Stoney Lonesome veggies and pasture-raised chickens with Pablo, Esther, and Aryeh is just about as good as it gets. Life is delicious!

2 comments:

MarmePurl said...

I LOVE reading the SL Blog. Thanks Mary and Diana! And OH MY...that is a handsome little boy!!!
---Joan

farmerinthemaking said...

thanks Diana - great pictures and a good read. see you soon